The route (8 days)
The path follows mainly the famous “Route Royale”, which
was made by the lords or the Savoy to connect Nice with Piémomt
via the Col de Tende. The trail stays in the mountains, but never
higher than 1200m, so it can be done in every season, even
1 : Arrival in Nice. Visit or the town, evening train to and
night in St.Dalmas de Tende
All day discovery or the city or Nice and its culture:
(To visit the barok churches of Nice you'll have
to be here on Sunday)
- Saint Pons church and chapel of the Miséricorde, Baroque masterpieces
- church of Gesu, example of early Baroque (17th century)
- the historic centre with its narrow streets and the hill of the
- the altarpieces of Louis Bréa in the monastery of Cimiez
- the Chagall museum, http://www.musee-chagall.fr/
- the Matisse museum,
Departure from Nice to St. Dalmas at the end or the afternoon, either with your car (80 km)
or with train (this and all other train journeys are not included
in the package).
2 : St.Dalmas de Tende – La Brigue - Saint Dalmas de Tende
Departure by train from St. Dalmas to Tende (leave
at 8.57h, 12 minutes)
Route: from Tende to La Brigue, over the Col de Boselia (altitude
1111m). downhill to La Brigue and walk to Notre Dame des Fontaines
and back. Elevation gains :+400m and –400m, length 5 hours.
To see in Tende:
- church with Baroque altar and Italian organ.
- medieval streets
- visit of the chapel of Notre Dame des Fontaines: the most frescos
of the Alps (1492)
Walk back to La Brigue and walk or by the train back to Saint Dalmas for your second night.
3 : Saint Dalmas-de-Tende - Saorge
Beautiful hike today, walking over so-called
balcony paths along the Gorges of the Roya.
From Saint Dalmas to Fontan and to Saorge, via the perched villages
Difference in height: +400m, -700m, length : 5h30min
- Village or Saorge, a beautiful perched village
- The Baroque Franciscan monastery (17th and 18th century)
- The chapel or Notre Dame del Poggio (Roman apse, 11th century)
- The baroque church of Fontan
- Traditional architecture of Granile, one of the most beautiful
mountain-villages of the Roya.
4 : Saorge – Breil sur Roya
From Saorge and the Roya valley to Breil. A very nice
and not too long track, but with some considerable climbing.
Difference in height: +300m and –600m, length: 5h
- In Breil sur Roya, one or the most beautiful Baroque churches
in the country-side or Nice, and the organ from the 18th century)
Night in Breil sur Roya.
5 : Breil sur Roya – Piène Haute – Sospel
No trains today. From Breil sur Roya to Sospel, via Piène Haute,
by beautiful balcony paths and along olive orchards.
Elevation gains: +450m and –450m, length : 5h30 – 6h
- Piène Haute and its church (baroque dance of the death, danse
macabre, from the 18th century)
- Toll bridge in Sospel (15th century)
Night in Sospel
6 : Sospel – Ste Agnès
Leave by bus or taxi from Sospel to the Col de Castillon.
From the col de Castillon to Ste Agnès, via the summit or the Mont
Elevation gains: +550m and –500m, length 4h
- In the morning visit or the cathedral or Sospel (baroque décor
and altarpieces by the Primitives de Nice)
- Pay special attention to the military defences from the end of the 19th century (Serrée de Rivière line) and 1936-1940 (Maginot
line of the Alps), the village of Ste Agnès above the sea and her
enormous subterranean fort, part or the Maginot line.
Night in Ste. Agnès
7 : Ste Agnès – Menton
Freewheeling, or almost to the sea! Beautiful walk through pine
woods till Castellar, then descent to the historic Menton and its
From Ste Agnès to Castellat, via the path of the “Balcons de la
Elevation gains : +200m and –500m, length 3h
From Castellar to Menton via le Baousset.
Elevation gains : -350m, length 1h30
In all 4h30
- Castellar and the chapel of Saint Sébastien
- The historic Menton and the baroque church St Michel
- The small museum Jean Cocteau, near the harbour or Menton,
No transfers today.
8 : Menton (or Nice) , leave after breakfast.
Degree of difficulty : average.
Hike of average degree of difficulty, accessible for anyone experienced
in mountain walking.
Every day luggage transfer. Average length: 5 h
Signposted paths. Average elevation gains: +500m
Maximum altitude: 1240m, Average altitude for the nights: 700m
Particular difficulties: The Côte d’Azur, near the Italian border,
is not a hilly region, but very mountainous, with a typical alps
The late autumn with its colours and the early spring with all the
flowers are without any doubt the most pleasant periods to walk.
During the winter it sure is much colder, but dry and
What we offer
- A guaranteed departure from up to 2 persons
- Free choice of starting day and date.
- Half-board (shops in every village to buy yourself a picknick)
, single room possible. In Nice and
- Luggage transfer every walking day between La Brigue and Menton.
- You get a description and maps, which you leave behind at the
end of the hike (1/25.000) and detailed instructions.
Not included are: beverages, entrance fees and train- and bus-tickets.
From 1st or February till the 15th or June
From the 15th or September till the 15th or November