The route (8 days)
The path follows mainly the famous "Route Royale", which was made by the
lords or the Savoy to connect Nice with Pi?omt via the Col de Tende. The
trail stays in the mountains, but never higher than 1200m, so it can be
done in every season, even in wintertime.
Day 1 : Arrival in Nice. Visit or the town, evening train to and night
in St.Dalmas de Tende
All day discovery or the city or Nice and its culture: (To visit the
barok churches of Nice you'll have to be here on Sunday)
- Saint Pons church and chapel of the Mis?icorde, Baroque masterpieces
- church of Gesu, example of early Baroque (17th century)
- the historic centre with its narrow streets and the hill of the castle
- the altarpieces in the monastery of Cimiez
- the Chagall museum, http://www.musee-chagall.fr/
- the Matisse museum, http://www.musee-matisse-nice.org/
Departure from Nice to St. Dalmas at the end or the afternoon, either with
your car (80 km) or with train (this and all other train journeys are not
included in the package).
Day 2 : Departure by train from St. Dalmas to Tende (leave at 8.57h, 12
Route: from Tende to La Brigue, over the Col de Boselia (altitude 1111m).
downhill to La Brigue and walk to Notre Dame des Fontaines and back. Elevation
gains :+400m and -400m, length 5 hours.
To see in Tende:
- church with Baroque altar and Italian organ.
- medieval streets
- visit of the chapel of Notre Dame des Fontaines: the most frescos of the
Walk back to La Brigue and walk or by the train back to Saint Dalmas for
your second night.
Day 3 : Saint Dalmas-de-Tende - Saorge
Beautiful hike today, walking over so-called balcony paths along the Gorges
of the Roya.
From Saint Dalmas to Fontan and to Saorge, via the perched villages or Granile
Difference in height: +400m, -700m, length : 5h30min
- Village or Saorge, a beautiful perched village
- The Baroque Franciscan monastery (17th and 18th century)
- The chapel or Notre Dame del Poggio (Roman apse, 11th century)
- The baroque church of Fontan
- Traditional architecture of Granile, one of the most beautiful mountain-villages
of the Roya.
Day 4 : Saorge - Breil sur Roya
From Saorge and the Roya valley to Breil. A very nice and not too long track,
but with some considerable climbing.
Difference in height: +300m and -600m, length: 5h
- In Breil sur Roya, one or the most beautiful Baroque churches in the country-side
or Nice, and the organ from the 18th century)
Night in Breil sur Roya.
Day 5 : Breil sur Roya - Pi?e Haute - Sospel
No trains today. From Breil sur Roya to Sospel, via Pi?e Haute, by beautiful
balcony paths and along olive orchards.
Elevation gains: +450m and -450m, length : 5h30 - 6h
- Piène Haute and its church (baroque dance of the death, danse macabre,
from the 18th century)
- Toll bridge in Sospel (15th century)
Night in Sospel
Day 6 : Sospel - Ste Agnès
Leave by bus or taxi from Sospel to the Col de Castillon.
From the col de Castillon to Ste Agnès, via the summit or the Mont Ours
Elevation gains: +550m and -500m, length 4h
- In the morning visit or the cathedral or Sospel (baroque décor and altarpieces
by the Primitives de Nice)
- Pay special attention to the military defences from the end of the 19th
century and 1936-1940 (Maginot line of the Alps), the village of Ste Agnès
above the sea and her enormous subterranean fort, part or the Maginot line.
Night in Ste. Agnès
Day 7 : Ste Agnès - Menton
Freewheeling, or almost to the sea! Beautiful walk through pine woods till
Castellar, then descent to the historic Menton and its old harbour.
From Ste Agnès to Castellat, via the path of the "Balcons de la Côte d'Azur".
Elevation gains : +200m and -500m, length 3h
From Castellar to Menton via le Baousset.
Elevation gains : -350m, length 1h30
In all 4h30
- Castellar and the chapel of Saint Sébastien
- The historic Menton and the baroque church St Michel
- The small museum Jean Cocteau, near the harbour or Menton,
No transfers today.
Day 8 : Menton (or Nice) , leave after breakfast.
Degree of difficulty : average.
Hike of average degree of difficulty, accessible for anyone experienced
in mountain walking.
Every day luggage transfer. Average length: 5 h
Signposted paths. Average elevation gains: +500m
Maximum altitude: 1240m, Average altitude for the nights: 700m
Particular difficulties: The Côte d'Azur, near the Italian border, is not
a hilly region, but very mountainous, with a typical alps relief.
The late autumn with its colours and the early spring with all the flowers
are without any doubt the most pleasant periods to walk. During the winter
it sure is much colder, but dry and very sunny.
What we offer
- A guaranteed departure from up to 2 persons
- Free choice of starting day and date.
- Half-board (shops in every village to buy yourself a picknick) , single
room possible. In Nice and Menton B & B.
- Luggage transfer every walking day between La Brigue and Menton.
- You get a description and maps, which you leave behind at the end of the
hike (1/25.000) and detailed instructions.
Not included are: beverages, entrance fees and train- and bus-tickets.
From 1st or February till the 15th or June
From the 15th or September till the 15th or November