The route (8 days)
During this hike the culture lover as well as the hiker will be
satisfied. The path follows mainly the famous “Route Royale”, which
was made by the lords of the Savoy to connect Nice with Piémomt
via the col de Tende. The trail stays in the mountains, but never
higher than 1200m, so it can be practised in every season, even
1 : Arrival in Nice. Visit of the town
All day discovery of the city of Nice and its culture:
(To visit the barok churches of Nice you'll have
to be here on Sunday)
- Saint Pons church and chapel of the Miséricorde, Baroque masterpieces
- church of Gesu, example of early Baroque (17th century)
- the historic centre with its narrow streets and the hill of the
- the altarpieces of Louis Bréa in the monastery of Cimiez
- the Chagall museum, http://www.musee-chagall.fr/
- the Matisse museum,
Departure for La Brigue (budget package) or St. Dalmas (standard**
package) at the end of the afternoon, either with your car (80 km)
or with train (this and all next train journeys are not included
in the package).
2 : Tende – La Brigue - Saint Dalmas (Your first day if you
booked the 6 days walk)
Departure by train from La Brigue or St. Dalmas to Tende (leave
at 8.57h, 12 minutes)
Route: from Tende to La Brigue, over the col de Boselia (altitude
1111m). downhill to La brigue and walk to Notre Dame des Fontaines
and back. Elevation gains :+400m and –400m, length 5 hours.
To see in Tende:
- church with Baroque altar and Italian organ.
- medieval streets
- visit of the chapel of Notre Dame des Fontaines: highest amount
of frescos of the Alps (1492)
Walk back to La Brigue (budget package) and with the train to Saint
Dalmas (standard arrangement) for your second night.
3 :La Brigue – Saint Dalmas
Beautiful hike today, less culture, more walking over so-called
balcony paths along the Gorges of the Roya.
Via La Brigue or Saint Dalmas to Fontan, over a beautiful balcony
Elevation gains: none. Length: 1 hour.
From Saint Dalmas to Fontan, via the perched villages of Granile
Difference in height: +400m, -700m, length : 5h30min
- church of La Brigue (altarpieces of the Primitives, a Bréa among
- the baroque church og ontan
- traditional architecture of Granile, one of the most beautiful
mountain-villages of the Roya.
Night in Fontan(budget) or with train from Fontan to Breil sur Roya(standard).
4 : Fontan – Breil sur Roya
First you take the train toFontan and then you walk to Breil. Uphill
to Saorge, then to Breil through the valley of the Roya: a fantastic
and not too long track, but with some considerable climbing.
Difference in height: +300m and –600m, length: 5h
- Village of Saorge, a beautiful perched village
- The Baroque Franciscan monastery (17th and 18th century)
- The chapel of Notre Dame del Poggio (Roman apse, 11th century)
- In Breil sur Roya, one of the most beautiful Baroque churches
in the country-side of Nice, and the organ from the 18th century)
Night in Breil sur Roya.
5 : Breil sur Roya – Piène Haute – Sospel
No trains today. From Breil sur Roya to Sospel, via Piène Haute,
on beautiful balcony paths and along olive orchards.
Elevation gains: +450m and –450m, length : 5h30 – 6h
- Piène Haute and its church (baroque dance of the death, danse
macabre, from the 18th century)
- Toll bridge in Sospel (15th century)
Night in Sospel
6 : Sospel – Ste Agnès
Leave by bus or taxi from Sospel to the col de Castillon.
From the col de Castillon to Ste Agnès, via the summit of the Mont
Elevation gains: +550m and –500m, length 4h
- In the morning visit of the cathedral of Sospel (baroque décor
and altarpieces by the Primitives de Nice)
- Pay special attention to the military defences from the end of
the 19th century (Serrée de Rivière line) and 1936-1940 (Maginot
line of the Alps), the village of Ste Agnès above the sea and her
enormous subterranean fort, part of the Maginot line.
Night in Ste. Agnès
7 : Ste Agnès – Menton
Freewheeling, or almost till the sea! Beautiful walk through pine
woods till Castellar, then descent to the historic Menton and its
From Ste Agnès to Castellat, via the path of the “Balcons de la
Elevation gains : +200m and –500m, length 3h
From Castellar to Menton via le Baousset.
Elevation gains : -350m, length 1h30
In all 4h30
- Castellar and the chapel of Saint Sébastien
- The historic Menton and the baroque church St Michel
- The small museum Jean Cocteau, near the harbour of Menton,
No transfers today.
8 : Menton, leave after breakfast.
Degree of difficulty : average.
Hike of average degree of difficulty, accessible for anyone experienced
in mountain walking.
Every day luggage transfer. Average length: 5 h
Signposted paths. Average elevation gains: +500m
Maximum altitude: 1240m, Average altitude for the nights: 700m
Particular difficulties: The Côte d’Azur, near the Italian border,
is not a hilly region, but very mountainous, with a typical alps
Budget package: in small simple hotels 1*NN (one or two persons
room, sometimes shower and toilet outside the room)
Standard package: in 2**NN hotels or Chambres d’hôtes (guest rooms,
one or two persons room, with toilet and shower, phone)
The late autumn with its colours and the early spring with all the
flowers are without any doubt the most pleasant periods to walk.
During the winter it is sure to be much colder, but it is dry and
What we offer
- A guaranteed departure from up to 2 persons
- Free choice of starting day and date (but we do recommend Sunday
as first day)
- Half-board (shops in every village to buy yourself a picknick)
, single room possible.
- Luggage transfer every walking day between La Brigue and Menton.
- You get a description and maps, which you leave behind at the
end of the hike (1/25.000) and deailed instructions.
Not included are: beverages, entrance fees and train- and bus-tickets.
From 1st of February till the 15th of June
From the 15th of September till the 15th of November